Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Cross-Dressers' Prom

Ah, the surreal joys of the Isthmus: I went to another massive vela the last weekend but with a twist; this one was for the local cross dressers. Have I mentioned that cross-dressing is seen as no big deal around here? No? Well . . . imagine my surprise. Particularly in the nearby town of Juchitan it is quite common to see somebody swanning by in the traditional women's clothing and sporting a prominent adam's apple and very large hands. I had a very animated discussion just a little while ago with one of the muixas ("gays" in Zapateco) about the difficulty of finding an underskirt long enough for tall people like us. Anyway, the vela was great. It was kinda a cross between prom and sweet sixteen parties with all the local cross-dressers dressed to the nines. Two great bands and massive quanity of beer. My group (with nary a cross-dresser, more the pity) danced 'til three. Good times.

Juchiteco cross-dressers don't mess around . . .

The queen of the vela. I so am going to buy one of those crowns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home